Monday, April 13, 2015

What is better than to surrender ourselves with Him to the Father?

Dear Daughters of St. Philip Neri,

To abandon yourselves in all things to God, to accept that portion of the chalice you are called to drink, only becomes bearable when when you consciously surrender yourselves in union with Christ. Seek to keep yourselves in the inward disposition that says "Yes" to the Beloved, "never asking, murmuringly, when annoyed and contradicted: 'Why has this happened?' Constantly lift up your hearts to God such that you see only Him and then you will abide in peace.

It is above all on days of weariness, sickness, impatience, temptation, spiritual dryness, and trials, during hours of sometimes terrible anguish which press upon a soul, that holy abandonment is pleasing to God. More than once we have considered this truth, namely, that there is a sum total of sufferings, of humiliations and sorrows, which God has foreseen for the members of Christ’s mystical body in order to “ fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ.” We cannot reach perfect union with Christ Jesus unless we accept that portion of the chalice which our Lord wills to give us to drink with Him and after Him.

Our Lord knew all about the terrible way along which His Father had ordained that He should travel; did He refuse to accept the divine will or refuse to fulfill it? No, He embraced it. “Behold I come, O Father; I have placed this law of suffering in My Heart, and I accept it for love of Thee.” The Word of God, Eternal Wisdom, Christ likewise foresaw the part that we should have in His Passion. What is there better than to surrender ourselves, with Him, to our Father and accept this participation in the sufferings and humiliations of His Son Jesus? “O Father, I accept all the sorrows , all the humiliations, all the sufferings that it shall please Thee to send me, all the misunderstandings to which it shall please Thee to subject me, all the painful obediences that it shall please Thee to impose upon me; and all this for love of Thee, in union with Thy beloved Son.”

If we could always keep ourselves in these inward dispositions, never stopping at secondary causes, never asking , murmuringly, when annoyed and contradicted : “Why has this happened? Why do they treat me in this manner?” If we could lift ourselves up to that supreme will which permits everything, and without the permission of which nothing happens ; if we could always look up above creatures with hearts uplifted, sursum corda, to see only God, to abandon ourselves to Him, we should constantly abide in peace. 

A great nun, the Blessed Bonomo, wrote to her father, at a time when she was exposed to sharp persecution through an unenlightened confessor: “I say to the Lord, ‘All is for Thee, I will not be troubled: Fiat voluntas tua in aeternum .’ I let everything pass, as the water passes returning to the sea; if things come from God, I at once return them to God; and I live in my state of peace; if I am tempted, I commend myself to God and await His help and light; and thus all goes well. Let your Lordship then have no trouble on my account, even when you hear that I am sick and in anguish; for I know not what trouble is, because all is love, and I fear but one thing: to die without suffering.”

Blessed Columba Marmion