Sunday, November 23, 2014

Give me the grace to adore You

drawings_7_20131119_1129248967

This is a most poignant journal entry and captures a painful but beautiful truth that few understand.  God can only be adored through God Himself.  In other words, God can only be adored and loved with perfection in and through the perfect sacrifice of love and praise offered by the Son through the Spirit.  It is in being united to Christ by the Holy Eucharist that we can also unite our poor praise and adoration to His own.  O'Connor also sees the fruit of this unity - the impatient longing to see God face to face and adore Him forever and to make reparation for those places where He is not adored or His love is desecrated.

“It is the adoration of You, dear God, that most dismays me. I cannot comprehend the exaltation that must be due You. Intellectually, I assent: let us adore God. But can we do that without feeling? To feel, we must know. And for this, when it is practically impossible for us to get it ourselves, not completely, of course, but what we can, we are dependent on God. We are dependent on God for our adoration of Him, adoration, that is, in the fullest sense of the term. Give me the grace, dear God, to adore You for even this I cannot do for myself. Give me the grace to adore You with the excitement of the old priests when they sacrificed a lamb to You. Give me the grace to adore You with the awe that fills Your priests when they sacrifice the Lamb on our altars. Give me the grace to be impatient for the time when I shall see You face to face and need no stimulus than that to adore You. Give me the grace, dear God, to see the bareness and the misery of the places where You are not adored but desecrated.”

Excerpt From: Flannery O’Connor. “A Prayer Journal.”