Saturday, February 22, 2014

The life that is "hidden" in His Heart

Dear Daughters of St. Philip Neri,

With purity of heart and clarity of intention, resolve to follow not simply where your own inclinations will draw you but rather the will of God.  Your longing and desire for peace and prayer and to retire from the distractions of life must not lead you to neglect the duties of your station in life or to avoid its sufferings.  However, remain steadfast in your pursuit of the strength and joy that comes from your religious exercises and keep for God alone your inner life - - its sorrows and hopes.

To hold in check my longing, which is sometimes so strong, for a life that is different from my own, for calm and recollection and silence.  To keep within wise limits my growing dislike of the world, of external excitement.

To accept the suffering caused so often by hostility, indifference, or incomprehension of religious things.  To wish strongly, humbly, and solely for God's will and to live through Him and for Him in the world that I would like to flee from for the solitude that I cannot have.

Not to neglect the duties of my state, all the while maintaining as the basis of my life and my days the religious exercises my soul has so much need of, which are its strength and its joy.  To be gentle and smiling outside, keeping for God alone the inner life, the life that is "hidden" in His Heart.

Elisabeth Leseur
Resolutions (1906-1912)