Monday, February 24, 2014

I will let myself be distributed by Him to souls

Dear Daughters of St. Philip Neri,

Will you make yourself available to the Lord, poor and tiny as you are, to be given to souls to restore and revive them?  Trust that as the Lord multiplied the loaves to nourish the crowds He can by His grace take what you offer - your sacrifices and love - and use them to comfort and strengthen those who long for life and love.  Let the blessings that God has bestowed upon you freely and generously pass to others.

Meditated on the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves.  Jesus Christ takes this lifeless thing, this tiny, coarse object, this bread, and by His blessing, it becomes food and life for the entire crowd.

Why should I not be, in these same divine hands, the poor instrument for another such work?  Why should I not be given by God to souls to uphold and revive them?  I am only feebleness, but strength will come from Him alone who uses me; I will let myself be distributed by Him to souls, and will serve them only in the measure that He wills.  Sweet divine benediction, descend upon me!  Multiply my prayers, sacrifices and acts of charity!  Let these fragments of Thy love in me become warmth and comfort for the spiritual starved, until the blessed time when Thou, the one living Bread, shalt come Thyself to revive and save them.

Elisabeth Leseur
Resolutions (1906-1912)