Monday, December 30, 2013

St. Therese Calls Priest to Follow the Little Way of Confidence

“What pleases God in my little soul is that He sees me loving my littleness and my poverty: it is the blind hope that I have in His mercy.  That is my only treasure. Why can it not be yours? … To love Jesus, the more one is weak, without desires and without virtues, the more one is suitable for the operations of (God’s) consuming and transforming love. It is confidence and nothing but confidence that must lead us to love.”



That passage in her letter of September 17 is the clearest expression of the Little Way that Thérèse has left us. It puts an end to all the objections which Maurice or anyone at all might make about his or her human failure.  How can someone as mediocre as I, we say, presume to love God? Thérèse’s answer is bold: “The more one is weak, without desires and without virtues, the more one is suited for the operations of God’s consuming and transforming love.” Discouragement is simply not allowed in the spirituality of Thérèse. We may approach Him no matter how poor we are; in fact, the poorer the better, for the more we may then rely upon God. No matter in what situation we find ourselves, the only requirement is that we put our trust in His merciful love.